No, there is no requirement that anyone take on the role of guardian. However, with no one available to make decisions for your mother, the nursing home may decide it has to seek guardianship on its own, in which case the court would appoint an independent person with no previous connection to your mother.
- Appointing an Executor? Here’s What an Executor Cannot (and Should Not) Do
- Should an SSI Recipient Refuse an Inheritance?
- ABLE Account Age Adjustment a Bright Spot in Omnibus Passage
- Activities of Daily Living Measure the Need for Long-Term Care Assistance
- What Is IRMAA, and How Does It Affect My Medicare Premiums?