Question: My mom needs Medicaid for a possible future stay in a nursing home. She has not given any of her children power of attorney, and she refuses to sign anything, including any Medicaid application papers. Is there any way to apply for her without her signature?

The answer will depend on the state Medicaid agency. It is possible the agency will allow a “responsible party” to sign on behalf of the applicant. Hence, this is where the advice of an elder law or estate planning professional can be helpful. Caring conversations with our loved ones are also vital to ensuring one’s ability to define how they would like to age and just how to pay for it.