Unfortunately, it’s too late to gift. Any gift could be penalized by a period of ineligibility for Medicaid benefits. There are a few exceptions to this rule. One is that transfers may be made to a trust for the sole benefit of a disabled individual. If either you or your brother is disabled, you may be able to take advantage of this exception.
- Medicare Fraud Prevention Week: Avoiding Health Care Scams
- How Will the Public Health Emergency’s End Affect Veterans?
- Retirement Planning Question: Should I Explore Qualified Longevity Annuity Contracts?
- Estate Planning Q&A: Do You Need a Trust?
- Which Should I Choose? Nursing Home Care vs. Hospice Care